Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Few Things

Rain Rain Go Away! This week has been a rainy & stormy mess. Tuesday night and Wednesday it stormed and lots of rain. Then Friday night, had a horrific storm come through with strong winds and lots more rain. I was at my parents when it hit. The rain came down so hard you couldn't see anything out the windows. The wind blew the rain almost horizontally and I had windows open, luckily, when I got home, it didn't come in the house. When I headed home, it was almost an obstacle course with all the branches in the road. When I got to the end of their street, it was flooded. Then when I got to the intersection of my street, it was also flooded, but a lot deeper. One area was about 12 inches deep. I have to cross a creek and I haven't seen it that high since it washed out the bridge many many years ago. There is a concrete bank with a drainage pipe that is about 3 to 4 foot high and the water was coming over the top but the creek was so high that it was almost level with the top of the concrete wall.

I stopped at my parents this morning and they were having water seeping into the basement. My dad ended up spending the whole day cleaning it up as it came in.

Thankfully, there is no rain in the forecast for the next week. Let's hope it stays that way.

Sunday I plan to get out and work in the flower beds, as long as it's not too soggy. I need to get them weeded and the new flowers planted.

In two weeks, the family and I will be heading for the Outer Banks. I cannot wait to get there to get my toes in the warm sand, to smell the sweet salt air, feel the ocean breeze blow through my hair, the warmth of the sun on my face, to hear the woosh of the ocean as the waves crash ashore, and the cry of the gulls. And to watch the sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean and the sunset over the sound. Oh and all the wonderful fresh seafood.

No comments:

Blog Archive